Study Sex at Sydney University

Graduate Programs in Sexual Health

Thursday, November 29, 2007

What is sexology?

This is a question I am repeatedly asked - so let me try to explain:

Sexology is the systematic study of human sexuality. Modern sexology is a multidisciplinary field which uses the techniques of fields including biology, medicine, psychology, statistics, epidemiology, pedagogy, sociology, anthropology, and sometimes criminology to bear on its subject.

It studies human sexual development and the development of sexual relationships as well as the mechanics of sexual intercourse and sexual dysfunction. Sexology encompasses all aspects of sexuality, including attempting to characterise "normal sexuality" and its variants. It also documents the sexuality of special groups, such people with a disability, children, and older adults, and studies sexual pathologies such as sex addiction and child sexual abuse.
Sexology is considered descriptive, not prescriptive: it attempts to document reality, not to prescribe what behavior is suitable, ethical, or moral.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Patrica,

Thank you very much for your good and useful describtion.
I would love to study sexual in London, but I am at a crossroad! I dont know what should I do. Actually i want to be a sexologist and sex therapist. Do you know that will it meet my needs? I mean do you know which university in the world can learn sexology as a single part? Also, do you know that sexual is the same subject that I am looking for?
Best regards

Amin
this is my mail: amin.raymond@gmail.com

krishna said...

University of Florence
Humboldt University are offering this course.

Thanks & Regards,
http://manshealthtips.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Dear Sir,
I wanna become a sexologist ..
can u guide me .. how i do the study of sexology..


thanks

Hugo said...

Hi, i´m a med student that is finishing his career in Chile, and i have decided to become a clinical sexologist or something related... but now i´m wondering if i can do this without studying gynecology first (doing the specialization)or urology... i mean... is this an specialization? are there any scholarships for doing this?

if you have any info please send it to me at:
hugofolch@gmail.com